Monday, June 6, 2011

May 29

Dear Familia,

We had a fantastic week!

Last Sunday, we got a member referral and on Thursday we contacted, taught and committed that very referral. She will be batized on Saturday (June 4th). Exciting! Her name is Haley. She is 12 years old. Haley is visiting her grandparents, the Hussys (Bro. Hussy is one of the bishop's counselors). They brought her to church last week and afterwards she talked to them about being baptized. We taught her on both Thursday and Saturday. Though on Sunday when Bro Hussy told the ward council, there were a few raised eye brows because technically, she lived in another ward in the stake. The Hussys were a little disgruntled about the ward council not wanting to baptize Haley in our ward. We asked the bishop what needed to happen and that we would do what it took to make it happen. He said to call the mission president and seek counsel from him (it being under his keys). President Griffin told us to go head and baptized her in Bristol and then transfer the records. Sister Hussy said, "Oo! Yes! I like this mission president!" We are really excited because this is in preparation for her going with the young women to girl's camp. Also her parents (less-active mother and non-member-mom's-boyfriend) asked if they could sit in on the lessons, and have made a special effort to be at the baptism.

The awesomeness of this is that originally she was committed for the 11th of June, but her parent were going out of town that week and asked if it could be moved to the 4th. Last
Tuesday, we were at a funeral at the church and afterwards the ward mission leader of the other ward that meets here, asked if Bristol ward was having any baptisms on June 4th, and if we did, we would put it in alinement with a child baptism for their ward. I told him that we didn't, but (in joking) we'd find someone to be baptized then. He kind of chuckled. Then I called him on Saturday and reminded him our conversation, and informed him of Haley's baptism. I would have loved to have seen his face as he said, "Wow, Elder!" Priceless!

District meeting went well last week. We got on a few different discussions (both doctrinal and social) that may have lasted a little bit longer then they should have. I have a great district.

Our 5th Sunday lesson went really well. I talked about invitation and elder Dangerfield spoke on agency. We committed everyone to set a date (before Aug. 1st) to invite someone to either:

Meet with the missionaries (us)
Come to church
Read the book of mormon
visit mormon.org
Come to the family history center
Come to wednesday night activities
Come to other activities (especially the missionary/member fireside on July 7th)

I hope it will be a big step in getting refferals. These last few weeks I have had allergies making my eyes puffy and watery and making my nose runny and sneezy. While I was giving the lesson I think a few of the members thought I was getting emotional about the topic of missionary work. Who knows, maybe that will work to our advantage and they will see that we are missionaries with our hearts in the work, and trust us with even more people to teach.

You've just got to love life!
-eldervonsowards

No comments:

Post a Comment